"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Town Creek Creep

"Assignment: Go somewhere and eavesdrop into a conversation. Record everything you hear. Post it on your blog. Learn what makes dialogue work and not work."

And so the creepiness begins,

Town Creek Park at 5:00pm I set up my blanket and computer in the shade of some trees near some unaware hammockers in the grove of trees to my left. I emerged into their conversation…

“…actually I just want someone to feed me. I'm so glad I'm not a child,” the blonde girl laughed, “If they tried to fine me $50 for missing chapter tonight I would punch someone.”

“They wont,” her brunette curly friend assured her.

“If the speaker doesn’t have to come I don’t either, I’ll tell them I was nursing her back to health.”

“AH I'm SO SCARED! STOP!” Brown-curls’ hammock was swaying way high into the sky as a boy with a white hat pushed her. They laughed.

“What if trees roots came from clouds instead of the ground?” The blonde again, “What if all the fluffy stuff grew in the bottom of the bush?”

“We’d be just like trees!” Curls was excited by this idea.

“Oh yea! It’d be like watch out for that tree!” The blonde is giggling, “ALL THE TIME DUCK! DUCK! IT’S A TREE!”


They sat in silence in their hammocks looking up at the clouds.

“If I had an extra body I could do things with and it didn’t matter first I would do LSD then I would go skydiving,” again the blonde.

“ABSOLUTELY!”

“My friend’s dad did that LSD in college and now he’s a psychologist. My friends go to him to get Adderol.”

The boy in the white hat plopped down beside the curly girl and pulled his phone out and began playing James Taylor for everyone to enjoy.


“So yesterday on campus Kit and I broke out into Oops I did it again. LOUDLY. We weren’t just kinda singing, we went all the way!” The curly girl was giggling and it became contagious. The laughter interrupted by the train’s distant grumble.

“Yall lets go camping! But no purpling in the tents! Your body is a temple!” The blonde laughed and pushed herself in her hammock off the nearby tree with her feet.

“If you could only listen to one artist the rest of your life who would it be?” Curls is full of questions.

“It’d be a hard choice between Mozart and The Beatles.” The boy in the shorts and orange jacket answered, first time he’d spoke.

The train’s horn has now passed, they sit in silence and swag in their hammocks, happily unaware of the English student destroying all their rights of privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment