"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Beauty in the Mud

I can not believe I am at the halfway point of my time in Peru. When I first returned, I told the stories of my 20 shots for rabies and how it was Gods providence I was sent home for them because I was able to help with my grandfather in the hospital almost every other conversation. Everyone was so glad to have me back but also so glad that I was there for my family during that trying time, they fully believe it was Gods providence I was bitten and I must say I agree. Tula (my madre Peruano) bought me a Pizza Hut pizza and balloons for my first night back in my home here. I love my Peruano family, they are without a doubt some of the nicest people I have ever known.

Since my return so much has happened. The first week I got back I was blessed to help lead a team from North Carolina with their work in Manchi. Manchi is a town in Lima about 30 minutes from where I live. It is not very large and all the houses are little more than plywood and metal with the streets inbetween muddy with excrement. It is not a "nice" place, but it has a strange sense of peace and beauty unlike anywhere else. I think it is because of how still Manchi is, even the people there are just still, content, and calm. I feel like I learned so much more than I taught during my time there. We were blessed to be able to work in this community. We put on an "EBDV" (VBS) and every morning would split up into 4 groups of 3-4 people, I got to lead one of these groups and we marched through the streets while I strummed the only chords I know (Wagon Wheel and White Blank Page, of course) and when people would poke their heads out of their houses I would eagerly say, "Que Paso!" and explain to them that we would begin EBDV at 3 on the court in the middle of the town. The first day I got many confused looks and laughs and later learned it was becuase in Peru, "Que Paso" is equalivent to "Hey, you there. What is your problem. You want to fight?" Luckily, all the people I talked to were children and mothers so no trouble came of it. Once 3:00 hit we would gather up on the courts and just play with the kids for about an hour. Futbol, Volleyball, Swinging in the air, or just tag. Then we would sing songs, the team would perform a short skit from the Bible, and then Maestro Bob would teach a lesson in English while Alex translated it for the gathered crowd. After the lesson we did a craft and worked on memorizing Juan 3:16 and by the end of the week many kids knew it and its deep importance. It was very sad leaving Manchi at the end of the week but I may return with another of the 2 teams that will be coming during the rest of my time here.

While the team was here the songs we sang in church were even more beautiful, I would close my eyes and just listen to the intermingled crowd of Peruvian and North Carolinian family singing in both Spanish and English and it was absolutely beautiful, the difference in the words being sang did not matter becuase the purpose and praise behind them was the same. The team has left now and I have been working at the MTW office and in my free time explored Jockey Plaza (a HUGE area of stores) and spent time reading in the park beside my house. It has actually been raining the past few days, not just the typical grey skys of Lima, legit rain. Today is the first day the rain has stopped and it feels great and Lima looks as if I got a bath.

My computer broke and wont turn on so no pictures for a while, hope my words will be enough to hold your attention. I love and miss you all!

"I am with You and will watch over you wherever you go" Genesis 28:15

No comments:

Post a Comment