"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, June 17, 2011

From Home, to Home

The last post on here was June 7th and its now the 17th, the past 10 days have been some of the most trying days ever. My passion and my heart for this summer was Peru and being abroad, I was prepared mentally and fully ready to not be back in the states for 3 months. As you all know, I have been undergoing treatment for rabies and as of Sunday I will be fully vaccinated! I had to get 5 shots total for the Rabies Vaccine and 16 shots into my legs for the RIG-shot.


Now I can hunt down that dog in Peru and play with the monkeys and have no worries. (kidding mom) The second day I was home we got a phone call at 4:00 am and Pops had stopped breathings, Mimi called a HEMSI and they were off to the Hospital.
That was a week ago Wednesday so its been a week and two days now and Pops is still in the hospital. He had surgery and thankfully they were able to do it all Laparoscopically! Recovery time has taken a while and he is still on a liquid diet, hopefully he will be out before I go back to Peru this Sunday. I am not a fan of hospitals, I love the work and relationships doctors and nurses have with their patients, but the unspoken fear of the occasional inevitability of avoiding death is felt in every fake smile and dark corner in every hospital, be it in Lima or Alabama.


I am more than ready to be back in my room on the roof of Tula's house in the foothills of the Andes mountains, eating delicious Peruano cuisine and singing Spanish Hymns with my Peruano friends and family in the open aired church in the heart of the town of Salamanca, Lima, Peru. Only two more nights in the states, three airports, 10 hours of flying, and I will be home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment