"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Peru, week one

Hello friends, family, and everyone else! It's only been a few days since I've become a gringo in Peru but it literally feels like weeks

.

Lima is completely different from what I was expecting but is still great. The climate is ALOT colder than I was expecting, its winter in the Andes mountains right now and shorts are not even an option, my "madre" told me this. I am living with a Peruano family in Lima in the foothills of the mountains. My room is located on the roof of the building and has an absolutely incredible view, though Dylan and I discovered yesterday the view from the top of the mountains behind our house is even more impressive.

I have a madre (Tula), padre (Julio), tia, sobrino, and 2 hermanos (David and Estavan). Every morning we wake up and I water the plants on the roof, mop the roof and 3 flights of stairs, and take out the trash then we eat. Breakfast is delicious, we always eat bread and jam and mandarinas and coffee and porridge. In Peru breakfast and dinner are more like snacks and at lunch you feast.

We eat lunch at Dylans house which is right down the street from mine and her family prepares a tradition Peruano dish daily for us as well as their two kids. Everyone here is so welcoming to us but laugh at us, ALOT. It's really quite humbling, after two years of college Spanish I am speaking at the level of a 5 year old, so my padre scolded me (lovingly of course) over breakfast this morning. But, I am learning, believe me I am.

We have done alot so far including go to an internet cafe, hike up a mountain, I got to visit the largest hospital in Lima today and pray over some of our church members, we've experienced a Peruvian walmart, and I have made friends in my church here. We go to "Luz de Vida en Salamanca, Lima, Peru" and its wonderful. I am working mainly with the youth group of this church alongside a man named Paulo. We play games, sing, and have a lesson much like in the states. Except, of course, it's all in Spanish.

My new friend in the youth group, Alex, plays guitar for the church and studied English for a while. He is going to help my Spanish as I help his English. Last night after youth group we were invited to one of the girls quinceanero, which is a girls 15th birthday and in Latin America is second in importance in her life only to the day she gets married. It was quite an incredible experience!

I don't have much time but I hope to post again soon. Anything yall want to know? Ask and I'll do my best to answer! Please pray for Dylan and myself as the language barrier is just that, a barrier. Going a whole day only communicating in Spanish is quite taxing and the days seem longer. We need strength, endurance, and our Peruano families and friends definitely need patience. Thanks again, I love you all! Chao



5 comments:

  1. this is so interesting!!! it sounds very pleasent though. sux u have 2 mop. we've missed you at the pool things are much more slow paced now. praying for you and good luck with spanish!!!!!!!!!!
    **~!&^%~Kelly~%^&!**

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kellbell that means alot! The Spanish is getting better day by day! Love and miss you and the rest of the tribe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cary! I'm glad everything is going well. It sounds like you won't get shot so that really comforts my mind. I'm jealous of your view it sounds fantastic. I don't know if one of the pictures that you put up is one of your view because they won't load on my computer for some reason. Like Kelly said, sucks you have some chores but hey that's better than taking out poo as you said you thought you might have to! God bless you Lizard. I'm praying for you and am looking forward to your next update! I love and miss you so much!!!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just realized I should have said Quail

    Love,
    Quail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Quail! The taking out the trash poo is part of it but its not that bad! I love you bagel dog! Take care of Auburn for me!

    ReplyDelete