"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Boxes and Bags

I'm back in the glorious land of Huntsville, Alabama. After six finals, four hours of packing, unpacking, and repacking, Sophomore year ended and I am officially through with the first half of my college career at the wonderful Auburn University.
Packing up for this summer was quite strange as I only brought one bag and my backpack back to Huntsville, the rest stay in Auburn. The one bag I brought to Huntsville is full of ONLY clothes I will be wearing in PerĂº.
Needless to say these next thirteen days could not be going by any slower. Huntsville is the same as always, beautiful green mountain trails, delicious queso at Little Rosies, and my favorite hymns at Southwood.
It's because of this each day my desire for Lima grows ever the stronger. The subtle and routine lifestyle of Huntsville is good when you are married and raising a family, but for now in my life I absolutely crave adventures, new places, faces, languages, challenges, food, I crave PerĂº. When I think about things I know I am going to miss and will complain to all of you who read this about after a few weeks time in Lima are as follows:

1. Family and Friends
2. Familiarity
3. Auburn and Huntsville

I find myself in a contradiction because these things are some of the exact reasons I am so excited to be in Peru. The one thing that I know will hold true, remain faithful, and ALWAYS will do so is God. In retrospect, the first half of my college career I have gained many things, and lost almost all of them as well.
Only God remains. The same is true when viewing my first twenty years on this earth in retrospect. God IS faithful, always. So as I pack up again in a mere thirteen days from now a few clothes, my camera and computer, and two journals and a Bible, I know no matter what I plan, what I box up for a purpose, the only thing that will bring me any joy in Auburn, Huntsville, or Lima will forever be my Lord.
Be encouraged, friend, that God knows what he is doing! He knows what is ahead of us, in this we take joy.


2 comments:

  1. Your blog has a wonderful feel to it, many blessings. Follow us back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Good

    Love mimi and pops

    ReplyDelete