"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, March 19, 2010

Dream


When I was just a little boy,
eyes wide with wonder, love, and joy,
I sat up in my perch in Papa's tree.

I saw the world with no disdain,
knew none but bliss,
sheltered from pain,
I laughed and dreamt of whom I would be,

I had a dream.

I found my peace in mountain trails,
the wisdom of the world unveiled,
in the silence, stillness, calm.
I found me.

To and fro my world would turn,
I walked and as I did I learned,
More and more of who I would be.

I had a dream.

Once I had walked I wanted to run,
to God I turned and to his Son,
Running hard into their arms, into me.

I know not much more now, today,
of whom I will be,
yet I know my name,
I feel the call I want to fly, to be free.

I had a dream.

But as I taste my world of bliss,
poison threatens at my lips,
but I know now exactly how to lead.
the life I lead.

I've learned to fly I must first trust,
not on myself, but in God I dost,
My future is in your hands,
and Lord I know you know that

I had a dream.

So now my feelings juxtaposed,
pre-med or law, and other woes,
I fear and fear of whom I will be.

I want to be the man I saw,
those years ago,
without a flaw,
a man of the Lord, ultimately.

I had a dream.

I've lived it full and lived it well,
so many stories I tell their tale,
Of how and when I reached

my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment