"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, July 29, 2011

Seeking the Southern Cross

What a week it has been since the last team has left. As I mentioned in my last update, God is throwing me head-first into literally every different type of mission work possible during my time here in Peru. This past week I have been doing Construction. Not just your simple mixing concrete and nailing things together construction, Im talking hard hat necessity and steel toed boots for 10-12 hours work days. I wake up every morning around 5:45 (and if you know me AT ALL you know thats a big deal. I dread waking up early more than I do final exams) and eat and catch a combi or taxi to the work site by 7:45-8ish. During the day the boss man Mr. Gary, two teachers from La Molina Christian School, and myself worked. We put together metal jacks and studs and laid the foundations for the walls of the entire second left upstairs side of the school. We got the walls up and then began the fun work (sarcam) of lifting the rafters and trusses onto the top of the walls and nailing them down. Once all that was done we hung the celing planks and then put in insulation and drywall. If anyone ever needs someone to use a drill, saw, hammer, ANY type of construction tool from now on, Im pretty much a pro. Not to brag or anything. I enjoyed the work because as time passed it was obviously visable what we had done as the walls were built, celing put on, etc. It was also frustrating work in the begining because of having to learn new ways to use these "easy" powertools. Also, construction is nothing more than math, being the English and Spanish major I am that caused many a headache for me many a times. I had to almost hourly pray for patience not only for myself but also for those working with me. Thankfully today was our last day on site and tonight the last team comes in and we begin to prepare for the english camp trip we are taking the youth group on down to the beach. Apparently the beach is colder than the city so I am packing ALL my warm stuff. I am really excited to be able to work with teaching english! Speaking of, the owner of La Molina Christian schools worked with us a few days this week on the site as well and today when I left he told me when I graduate I have a job in his school teaching English if I want it. Job security in a foreign country at 20 years old? Terrifying. Not going to even think about that until the time comes.





More updates: I had worms. What does this mean? During my time in Manchi either during the first team and VBS or the third team and the Medical Clinic, I got the worms that literally every patient we treated had. How did I know this for sure? Due to the graphic context in how I discovered the worms in my stomach I´ll put it like this: I learned it in the bathroom. Thankfully a medical team was here and gave me Abendelzol which kills all worms for at least 6 months. So unless I get them from something in the US, the worms in my system are DONE. Thank God.





Also, Peru had its independence day yesterday, I had work until 6 but when I got done I went home and celebrated with my Peruano family. We ate Peruano food and watched fireworks and Peru´s volleyball match against the USA. On independece day here, every house is required to fly a flag from its roof. The streets were pure red and white, so cool. Tula knited me a Peru bandera to wear on my shirt all day. VivĂ© Peru!





I only have one week left here and as my time is wearing down I find myself at the paradoxical cross roads of extreme joy and unstated sadness. I can´t wait to return to my home and family and dog and friends but I dont want to leave the life I´ve come close to mastering here. Its a weird feeling and I have NO idea what I will say when I get the dreaded question, "So, Cary, How was PerĂș?" Not sure how to say I loved it and I hated it. I dreaded leaving and I was also ready to go. It was the hardest and best thing I´ve done thus far in my life.





The stars came out last night as the smog cleared finally over the city and I finally saw the southern cross in the sky. It is a constulation you can only see south of the Equator and it is absolutely beautiful.





One week left to eat, enjoy, love Peru and prepare for my return back home.





Chao.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the update. Sorry I missed your call. Can't wait to see you. Love you, Mimi

    ReplyDelete