"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Updates from L.P.


So, today is the first day since I have left that I have got to really have me time. Leadership Project is quite the experience. As I left Huntsville for my big adventure into South Carolina I had no idea what to expect.
After a pit stop in Greenville to stay the night and see the beautiful town there we left to head onwards to our final destination, Myrtle Beach. As we pulled in everyone was dressed up in tye-dye and screaming and jumping and blaring Christian rap music. My friends who really know me know I very rarely feel extremely intimidated or overwhelmed. Never have I ever felt so out of my element. At first, being the new guy from Alabama was hard. It felt like every single person here had at least three other best friends here with them that they were always with, luckily I had Suzanne and Laura but branching out was a necessity seeing as I can't spend all my time with them.
Thankfully the people here are welcoming and I've made some great friends already. My room is me and four other guys (Josh Austin, Vaughn Volious, Jason Brown, and Chris Yoos) and everyone in my room is awesome in different ways. As the first week went by the awkwardness died out and as more time went along I ended up with a mohawk.
But, all that aside I've learned some good lessons from being the new guy. Inclusion is Important. Making people feel like you really value them and actually taking the time to get to know them and to really actually value them is important. Everyone wants to be loved. A smile can do wonders, it really is a gift to whomever you smile at. That lesson proves itself true daily at work. I'm front line cashier at McDonalds while on Leadership Project and let me tell you, it is for sure harder than most assume.
And every night after work we have some sort of meeting (evangelism training, bible study training, prayer training, d-group, project meal, project social) so lots of being taught while here. It is helping me really form my opinions on a lot of things. All in all I am definitely glad I am here, I think everyone needs an experience like this at some point in their life. More updates to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment